Beyond the Surface: SDA Conference 2019
May 29, 2019
Join us in St Louis for SDA’s 2019 biennial conference, Beyond the Surface, for a long weekend of fiber October 3-6, 2019! We are partnering with St Louis-based Innovations in Textiles 2019, a regional event showcasing more than 30 textile exhibitions in the St Louis metro area. Open to members and non-members. Registration is now open, and we can’t wait to see you!
Beyond the Surface includes:
- Pre-Conference Workshops, Wednesday & Thursday (October 2 – 3)
- Opening Reception on Thursday evening, October 3
- Day of Speakers on Friday, October 4
- Juried Exhibitions of members’ and student work + Small Works Exhibit of member art
- Bus tour to selected Innovations in Textiles 2019 venues, Saturday, October 5
- Conference Wrap Up, Sunday, October 6
- Student Events, Future Tense 2019 & PechaKucha-style presentations
Innovations in Textiles 2019 is a collaborative event throughout the St. Louis, Missouri region. Created to investigate the state of contemporary textile arts, Innovations in Textiles 2019 is comprised of over 30 regional nonprofit & commercial art galleries, organizations and museums that have joined forces to present innovative exhibitions that explore fiber art, textiles and fashion created by local, regional, national, and international artists.
Carissa Carman, Basil Kincaid, Amy Meissner, Yvonne Osei, Kate Anderson, and Hannah O’Hare Bennett.
Featured SDA Exhibitions
- SDA’s Annual Members’ Exhibition, Beyond the Surface, September 20-October 23, 2019 St Louis Artists’ Guild. Jurors: Jo Stealey and Jim Arendt. CFE is open until June 7
- Future Tense 2019, SDA’s Annual Student Exhibition, scheduled for Edwardsville Art Center, Edwardsville, IL. September 6 – October 11. Jurors are Tamryn McDermott and Kim Eichler-Messmer. CFE open until April 15
- Small Works, SDA all member, non-juried exhibition. Webster University’s Arcade Contemporary Art Projects Gallery, October 3 – Dec 15. Call for Entries open now.
Two special events have been tailored for student attendees.
- Future Tense 2019, annual juried student exhibition
- Student PechaKucha presentations: How are you pushing boundaries and extending your craft? Tell us your story. PechaKucha (“chit chat” in Japanese), a format for concise presentations originating in Tokyo and adopted all over the world. Up to 16 selected SDA student members will present 10 images, 20 seconds each, for SDA’s modified version.
Pre-conference workshops will be on October 2 & 3. Taught by well regarded instructors, these classes offer participants a small group, in-person learning experience and reflect an exciting variety of fiber/textile subject areas. Make the most of your time in St. Louis by signing up for more than one! Register early; class sizes are small and may fill quickly.
- There’s a bunch of workshops, so check out SDA’s Conference Page for more info!
Related Blog Articles
Best Books to Give (and Get) in 2019!